Friday, May 26, 2017

Brown Eyes

My predecessors came along and departed.

And then they left you in their wake for others.

To seek new conquests.

To let others conquer.

I thought me special, benevolent, different than the rest.

I thought to be The One for you.

My wise reign would never end.

Did I not give you my word?

Yet you held your tongue.

But belated enlightenment yielded unsolicited meaning.

Without which I almost became very special indeed:

The One that didn't get away from you.

What made me think I would endure the test of time?

Why should I have broken tradition?

Who did I think I was?

Lest I mistake myself for the fool you take me for

for I go mad grappling with the distinction.

Answer me this only, just this one thing.

2 comments:

Thank for reading. Exercise your right to free speech here.