Monday, December 17, 2012

Lesson Retention FAIL

Loneliness has a way of bringing thoughts into sharp focus. Between work, family and soccer, my social initiative is dead in the water. I have been alone before, so I can deal with it - not complaining. Usually I just start to think and see where that leads me.

Starting a relationship just for the sake of company would be toxic. Men being wired the way we are (susceptible to visual cues with instant reflexes), loneliness often takes on aspects of actual physical pain harder to resist than obey. I CAN SEE how easily a hormone-harassed man would turn to transitory relationships to gratify passing urges.

But that would be rash. Nowadays you think you know someone but they are so sunk in their preoccupations that you can't tell how thrown off you are. Any individual's brain contains a whole virtual universe populated with memories, plans and emotions. Some people's internal worlds are thriving ecosystems, others are polluted wastelands.

"The unexamined life is not worth living," said someone wise. The more I examine my life, the less examined it has been these last few months. I have been lax. I want to blame on it getting my enthusiasm worn down by "the system" - an easy scapegoat within reach - but that wouldn't be the full picture.

The things we admit into our minds yield us thoughts and actions. You can't "un-watch" or "un-hear" or "un-know" something once its past the gate. I am learning this the hard way. Better to switch off the TV or else, before you know it, that program you thought was a sitcom has got you having impure ideas.

It's a sign of immaturity when I have to learn the same lessons over and over again by repeating the same mistakes. Growth will be the day I can stop flogging my own back about it because it's well and truly in the past. On to new challenges ahead. (Funny how many times I seem to have reached that stage!)

Let us all strive to conform to the highest moral standard: the WORD of GOD.

PSALMS 119:9
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, the only way to have a truly fulfilled and meaningful life is to fashion it after God's Word. When we chart out our own path we set ourselves up for failure.

    ReplyDelete

Comment freely.