Thursday, October 31, 2013

Musical Musings

Having dabbled in the occasional spot of songwriting, let me share some firsthand views from experience.
 
I admire songwriters and hymn writers with a great admiration. It takes genius to condense sublime spiritual truths into rhyming poetic phrases. It is quite another feat of talent to weave said phrases into rhythms and melodies that stir the spirits or sooth the soul. The inspiration that attended to Reformation-era Christian hymns is of a higher order, simply heavenly. It’s easy to take a finished work for granted, but I implore you to look again, closely. For example:
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!
Amen!
 
My amateurish efforts at composing music continue. It’s nowhere near the scale of mastery attained by the inspired labors of the hymn writers, nor even that contemporary soulful song "Imela". Still, I thank GOD for the inspiration. It’s fulfilling to see the tracks taking shape, the melodies, harmonies, all that. Plus, I have a close friend who gives my oft-flagging encouragement the occasional kick-start via her infectious enthusiastic personality and encouraging comments. I thank GOD for her too.

PSALM 103:1-8
BLESS the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me bless His holy name
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities, who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction, who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
The LORD executeth righteousness and judgement for all that are oppressed.
He has made known His ways to Moses, His acts unto the children of Israel.
The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger; and plenteous in mercy.

Sing a hymn of praise today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment freely.